My absolute favorite show on BBC America is You Are What You Eat. The host of the show, Gillian Mckeith goes to the houses of overweight British people and tells them what horrible, horrible eating habits they have. Then she throws a weeks load of "rubbish" that they eat on a table, and calls them pigs. They go on some mad crazy diet for like 6 weeks, eating only lettuce, lentils, and weird green smoothies, to find that they have lost a certain about of stones (pounds), they scrub them up real good (the people not the stones), put make-up on them (usually too much), some new clothes (generally too trendy), and then they all do a happy dance (literally) around in their living room saying they'll never go back to eating biscuits (cookies), chocolate crumpets (no idea), and crisps (chips) ever again. By the end of the show, and the end of the diet, the people still look relatively unattractive, and you're thinking I doubt they stick to this horrid diet, but the show was good fun.
Anyway, one day Gillian visited a family with kids, and she made a pizza for them. I don't think my kiddos would have cared for the toppings, and the dough was a little too sticky for my liking, but the idea was right on track.
This is my adaption to her pizza. It is by far my FAVORITE Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Ever In The ENTIRE
Oh, and the best part - no rising needed. This pizza can be prepared in the amount of time it takes you to order a pizza and have it delivered. Slightly more work though, but anything worth having always is.
Easy Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Pizza Dough
For the Dough:
*1 large sweet potato (equal to 1 1/2 cups mashed), peeled, cut into pieces and boiled until soft
2 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 oz. cold water
2 TB olive or canola oil
* I wouldn't hate you if you used canned sweet potatoes so that you could skip this step. I'm sure it would work fine. It might not taste quite as good, but, I'm just sayin'.
1 jar/can Marinara Sauce
2 cups (more if you like really cheesy pizza) shredded mozzarella cheese
Turkey Pepperoni, Ham slices, Mushrooms or whatever you like
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a pot with a lid, boil sweet potatoes until soft. Drain, and mash with the back of a fork or potato masher until smooth. Set aside to cool.
3. In a small bowl combine water and oil, set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and potatoes. Add water mixture, and stir until well combined. Knead the dough to form a ball. If the dough is too sticky add more flour.
5. Divide dough into two equal parts, and roll out onto a floured surface ( I roll my dough on a counter lined with wax paper to facilitate clean up). As you're working with the dough be sure the surface remains covered with flour so that it doesn't stick. Roll the dough out to 10-11 inches in diameter.
6. Spray your pizza pan/baking sheet with cooking spray. Lift dough carefully, and place on pan. Brush or spray the top and edges of the dough with oil.
7. Spread marinara sauce on top of the pizza.
8. Top with cheese and other toppings.
9. Cook for 20-25 minutes and browned. Cool 5 minutes, and serve.
•Makes 2 - 11 inch pizzas