2 TB olive oil1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 rib of celery, chopped
2 strips of bacon
1 pound of ground turkey
2 garlic cloves chopped
3/4 c. dry white wine
28 oz. can of spaghetti sauce
1 c. chicken stock
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 c. cream ( or 1/4 c. milk with 2 TB butter)
2 pounds whole wheat pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Add finely chopped onions, celery, carrots and bacon. Cook until vegetables are soft and onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Brown ground turkey until no longer pink.
- Add chopped garlic and cook about one minute.
- Return vegetables to pan, add wine and cook until liquid has almost evaporated (about 7 minutes).
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, bay leaf and chicken stock. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour, partially covered.
- Add cream or milk mixture and heat until warm.
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Toss drained pasta with sauce and serve.